What Are 6 QUALITY Questions to Ask Your Builder
When choosing a builder/contractor for your new Custom Construction Home, it’s easy to get caught up in the visual parts of the house, what kind of tile in the kitchen, what color of paint on the walls…Your home is your safe place, and quality is the foundation of that home.
When choosing your builder ask them questions about quality and listen carefully to the answers. Do they pay attention, or do they slough it off as unimportant?
- What kind of waterproofing warranty on the foundation do they use? Some builders give a 10 year warranty – some give a 30 year warranty. Yes, this changes the price – but do you want to start worrying about water in 9 years?
- What type of home warranty does the builder offer? Is it all inclusive or only specific parts of the property? Are the plants in the landscaping included? What might negate the warranty?
- Does he keep a clean job site? This is a sign of organization and follow through. More than likely if the job site is a mess, then his paperwork is too.
- What is NOT included in the contract? Using the term “turnkey” means that you should be able to move in and use the house when their job is finished. You should not have to do anything else to make it livable.
- Can you make changes to the floor plans? When can you make these changes? Does it all have to be done before construction starts?
- What kind of paint does he/she use? Is it a quality paint that is rolled over the primer…and what kind of years should you expect before you need to repaint?
Ask questions until you are satisfied with the answers. Quality is not as glamorous, but just as important as the look and feel of your home. Congratulations! You’ve embarked on an exciting journey that will lead to your dream home.